A little over two years ago, the University of Rhode Island and EAM began a project to experiment with a community-based market supporting bobolink habitat preservation on farm fields in southern Rhode Island. Our goals were both farmland conservation and economic analysis to determine more precisely willingness-to-pay for farm management practices that improve wildlife habitat.
Initial results have been encouraging, we’ve been able to protect several fields over the first two years (I’ll have more to say about the economic analysis as the Summer progresses, but intially we’ve found about 10% of the community willing to participate).
I start with this post because we’ve gotten significant press on the project and yesterday I became aware of a group in Minnesota who had implemented an exchange.
Here is the Audubon Magazine article on the project….more information to come as we analyze economic data…